Hammertoe involves the twisting or abnormal downward bending of a toe at the first joint. It can affect any toe, though it most commonly affects the lesser toes (the second through fifth toes). This condition is more common in women than in men. The team of expert podiatrists at Clintonville Foot & Ankle Group in Columbus and Dublin OH specializes in the treatment of foot and ankle conditions including hammertoe.
Types of Hammertoe
There are two types of hammertoe:
- Flexible: Flexible hammertoe is the less serious of the two types because, at this point, the toes are still able to bend and straighten at the affected joint. Typically, this type of hammertoe is diagnosed and treated early in the development of the condition.
- Rigid: Rigid hammertoe occurs when the symptoms are not treated early in the onset of the condition or in arthritis sufferers. Rigid hammertoe causes the tendons in the affected to become taut, twisting, and immobilizing the joint.
Treatment for Hammertoe
Columbus residents who have hammertoe may use the following treatments to alleviate discomfort:
- Positioning pads around the affected toe to reduce pressure and rebalance the muscles.
- Wearing orthotic devices in the shoes to rebalance the alignment of the toes and feet.
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications to reduce pain.
If hammertoe is causing you severe pain, at-home treatments have not been successful, or you are suffering from rigid hammertoe, your doctor may recommend surgery. Surgery may involve removing bone spurs and realigning the affected joint, releasing a taut tendon, repositioning a tendon, or correcting the toe’s alignment with a metal pin.
If you live in Columbus and you are seeking treatment for hammertoes, contact Clintonville Foot & Ankle Group at the Columbus office at (614) 267-8387, or the Dublin office at (614) 761-1466, to request an appointment.